Attention JCC Members and Guests:  The small pool is currently closed. Thank you for your patience.

History

MILESTONES IN YOUR JCC’S 100+ YEARS OF SERVICE


1894

  • Lizzie Kander founds the Jewish Mission to aid immigrants. The Mission is housed in the vestry of Temple Emanu-El B'ne Jeshurun at 10th and Cedar Street. Activities include sewing, cooking, manual work and "treats" for immigrant children.

1985

  • Lizzie Kander publishes The Settlement Cookbook, based upon recipes Kander and others used in cooking classes at the Mission.
1900
  • The Jewish Mission coalesces with the Council of Jewish Women and the Sisterhood of Personal Service to form the Milwaukee Jewish Settlement. The Settlement rents a house on Fifth Street and moves to a larger one in 1904.
1911
  • The Settlement takes possession of the newly built Abraham Lincoln House, on Ninth and Vine street, forerunner to the Jewish Community Center. Activities include classes in English, cooking, music, nutrition, as well as a host of social clubs which meet regularly in meeting rooms.
1931
  • Proceeds from the sale of the Abraham Lincoln House and royalties from the Settlement Cookbook are used to buy the University High School at 1025 N. Milwaukee Street and form the Jewish Center. The new center is formally dedicated in March 1931. It offers a broad array of social, cultural and recreational activities for the entire community.
1934
  • The Jewish Center becomes a Milwaukee Community Fund (United Way) beneficiary.
1946
  • The Center officially changes its name to the Jewish Community Center.
1955
  • A lake side site at 1400 North Prospect Avenue is the new home of the Jewish Community Center. The move to the new location reflects the Jewish population's shift out of Milwaukee's inner city.
1966
  • The Jewish Community Center acquires property new Eagle River, Wisconsin, and begins Camp Interlaken JCC summer resident camp.
1968
  • The Jewish Community Center acquires property in Fredonia, Wisconsin, and creates Camp JCC day camp.
1987
  • The Jewish Community Center, continuing to follow the Jewish community's shift to the suburbs, moves to its new quarters at the 28-acre Karl Campus in Whitefish Bay.
1989
  • The opening of the Mequon Preschool at Beth El Ner Tamid Synagogue in Mequon, Wisconsin.
1998
  • JCC purchases 73 acres of land in Mequon for potential future development in conjunction with the Milwaukee Jewish Home.
  • The Jewish Community Center officially changes its name to the Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, a gift from the Harry Samson Family.
  • The name of the camp in Fredonia, Wisconsin is officially named the Albert & Ann Deshur JCC Rainbow Day Camp, a gift from Albert & Ann Deshur.
  • The name of the resident camp in Eagle River, Wisconsin is changed to the Steve & Shari Saked Family Camp Interlaken JCC, a gift from Steve & Shari Sadek.
  • The Parenting Center is officially named the Harold & Terry Nash Parenting Center.
2005
  • The Milwaukee Jewish Federation has a Capital Campaign for the Jewish Community Center to stay in Whitefish Bay
  • The dedication of the Daniel M. Soref Education and Retreat center at the Albert & Ann Deshur JCC Rainbow Day Camp including the opening of a 21 guest room facility and bayit.
2006
  • The name of the JCC Early Childhood department is renamed Gan Ami
2007
  • Gan Ami moves into a new expanded building on campus with twelve new classrooms and an atrium complete with aquarium.
  • Hy and Richard Smith Family JCC Water Park opens
  • The Grand opening of new facilities including the Marcus Pavilion, Daniel M. Soref Community hall, the Guten Discovery Center and CAF? B DATA.
2010
  • J-Shore opened at Bayshore Town Center providing a new connection to the community with activities for young children and older adults. 
2011
  • The Jewish Community Food Pantry opened in its new space at 29th and Center in Milwaukee to help provide food for those in need.
2013
  • Gan Ami Mequon moves to their new home on Donges Bay Rd. in Mequon.